Monday, January 17, 2011

Projects for 2011!!

I'm now getting a little up close and personal with the craziness I call home. Not only craziness but embarrassment! I'm still in shock that I am going to be posting picture of my mess!! Desperate times call for desperate drastic embarrassing measures. I'll go down the list from not so embarrassing to really embarrassing. So here we go!


Starting from the top and going down:
  • Previous Owner Paint, etc. - This table was given to us when we were in the market for a dining room table for cheap. And we managed to beat cheap and score it for free. Even better right? When I first saw the table, I knew it needed a little work and more chairs (because it also came with a leaf [proper spelling?] for more people to sit). There is some paint spots that are neon orange and I have no idea where it came from.
  • Centerpiece or should I say "Centerpiece" because it really isn't much of one. I love that candle and a glass platter really goes with anything so I through them together so the dining room table wasn't naked after stripping it of its Christmas setting. 
  • Like I said it needs a new color or stain. I'm thinking having the top of the table a dark color to match the hutch (you will see soon enough) and the bottom white and the chairs to match. But I'm not definite on that plan yet. I would love some suggestions.
  • Again, there are only 3 chairs. We had every intention of purchasing more at Garden Ridge but we moved into a smaller house and there is only 3 of so why the hurry?

  • Change the color/stain: I want it to match the table of course but haven't decided on the color or stain or whatever. We will cross that bridge when we come to it.
  • Baby picture of Chris: Ok. This one isn't bad and I definitely don't mind it being there but I think there could be a better spot for it. 
  • Unused Frames: 2 Black picture frames that I want to put to good use but haven't gotten around to it. So where does it go...the Hutch. Why? I don't know. It's the first thing we see when we walk in the door so I guess the thought crosses our mind to stick it on there. 
  • Random stuff everywhere: The blue thing is a fishing reel (???), there is also a wall flower from Bath and Body Works and these mini little wine glasses. I'm not sure if they are supposed to be shot glasses or what but I just assume throw them away.
  • This one bullet could cover the rest: more random stuff, more random stuff, and oh yeah MORE RANDOM STUFF!! Everything from a tub of fabric, a box of mason jars, Melania's drawing stuff, and baskets of more little stuff. Melania has more drawing stuff than she knows what to do with. That is why we have every intention on having a "Arts and Crafts Room" in the next house. Which I am totally game for because I love arts and crafts. : )

Ok, this one wont take too much work.
  • The clock is not on the right time. I can't remember if the battery is dead or just not there or we are just too lazy to change it.
  • There are 2 cute little picture frames on both sides of the clock. Love it! Haven't used it!
  • The Chalkboard part of this doesn't need to be redone, however, I did just want to point out how cute I think it is. We can write little memos and things. Negative side to this is that we don't have chalk to use for it. I know Melania has chalk but where are we supposed to keep it. I don't want to have to chase down some chalk to write "Don't Forget Your Lunch".
  • I guess this one goes back to not having chalk convenient. I wrote my Mom's new house number on a sticky note and and stuck it on there. Ghetto!!


These are just Melania's dressers. We got these for free from some friends because either they bought new ones or their kids out grew them, I can't remember. (Does that make me a bad person? I know who gave it to us but I can't remember why, oops!) They are so cute and perfectly sized for her clothes. Most of her close are hung up so she doesn't even use all her draws. No draw goes empty in our house though! We use one for movies and another for little Melania sized blankets.

Uh-Oh. Here we go. The last 2 MOST embarrassing projects to do in 2011.


This is completely a total mess. I just so happen to take a picture when it was at it's worst. Typically everything is organized when I bring in new groceries from the store. I also like to think that I keep it organized and Chris doesn't but that would be just playing the blame game and no one likes that game!
  • Let's start at the top: a box of containers (which I love these containers, gifted from my lovely sister who is always practial, love her!), some cereal, chips, more stuff, and I definitely just noticed a drill. I think WTH? belongs here!
  • More food. Even though it looks like a lot, it wasn't. That was right before I went grocery shopping and before "organizing" it before putting the new groceries away.
  • Pots and Pans. Ever since we "downsized" we are limited on the cabinet space we have. So that is why we have the pots and pans shoved in there. When we try to take a pan out, it sounds like a toddler playing the drums, no joke!
  • Then we have our mild cleaners and bags. We actually don't even have a good spot to put these. Your probably thinking, under the sink, right? Well we have all the glass pans and casserole dishes and strainers and mixers and such things under there. No judging allowed!!
  • Next is what your not seeing. The doors. Where are they? Well somehow or another it came loose off the track. We were thinking it was installation error (not us, by the way) but again not playing the blame game!
  • Needless to say complete disaster!
    Oh Gosh! It's the awful bed/bedroom! Usually comfy and cozy but definitely an eyesore! Back story on the bed: We had a very nice wood (oak, I think) bed that matched the 2 dressers. But it broke. (Keep the dirty thought to yourself!) We had if for a while and it was using wood slats and missing some so needless to say, we laid that bed to rest (pun intended) over the summer. Luckily my mom had this in her guest bedroom and was oh so kindly enough to give it to us. On a positive note, it is a king instead of a queen. : )
    • Lets see, where to start?? White, wrought-iron headboard and foot board. That doesn't even sound pretty. No offense if you have one but, geez it's ugly. It even has brass "accents". Can I get another WTH?!
    • Since we went up a size in the bed, we didn't have any matching sheet. Again, I called my mom and she saved us because she had extra sheets for it. (My mom has everything, I mean EVERYTHING). 
    • Now to the foot board: Chris likes to use this has his drying rack for his towel even though we have a rack for that. But I don't really care that he uses it as that because, it kind of covers up the hideous white iron and brass.
    • I also cover it up by using jackets. It not only drys the towel, it is used as a coat rack! Isn't that just convenient. 
    • We also have junk and shoes all over the floor. Even though I have a million pairs I still complain I have none. So I'll try to remember that the next time I trip over them getting to my dresser. 
    I convinced Chris to make us a bed using Katie Bower from bowerpowerblog.com's Farm house style bed. Which I think (not 100% sure) she used Ana White's template/outline/whatever you call. [By the way, if you look at Katie's blog you will fall in LOVE with everything she makes. From her holiday decor, to her house decor, to her little boy, Will] I fell in the LOVE with this bed as soon as I saw. I think about it just about everyday. I know, I have issues.

    So what do you think? Have any suggestions? I would love some feedback and ideas on how to tackle this or what looks good?!

    1 comment:

    1. I don't know how to make my middle section on blogger bigger to fit my wide picture. Any suggestions on that would be great too!

      ReplyDelete